Metallic accessories are a must-have for any stylish wardrobe, and it's easy to see why: they're a great way to add a touch of glamour to any outfit. They are the perfect compliment to casual and dressy looks and can take you from day to night in one easy step.
Types of Metallic Accessories
Clutches and small metallic handbags are the perfect way to transition your outfit from day to night. Medium-sized metallic bags can be a subsitute for your day bag. However, avoid really large totes and handbags in metallics; they're overwhelming. If you are carrying a bag that is bigger than an evening size, make that your only metallic accessory.
Shoes in metallic shades are a great way to wear the trend. Metallic ballet flats and sandals dress up jeans and casual dresses while staying appropriate for daytime and work, and pumps are a must for a night out.
- The J Crew Cece ballet flat, available in gold or silver, is a fabulous everyday shoe. Wear it to the office or out to brunch with jeans and a tee.
- Silver Marc by Marc Jacobs pumps are the perfect example of a new take on a classic; the color goes with almost everything and instantly glams up your evening look.
Jewelry is the most common and versatile metallic accessory. You will always be able to find a diverse selection of necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. to suit any occasion from the most casual to the most formal. Gold and silver are some of the more popular metals used in jewelry, but copper and rose gold are also widely available and give a chic, unexpected metallic element to any look.
- This rose gold and black ceramic, menswear style?, Vince Camuto watch from Macy's is a great statement piece.
- These 'Layers of Love' bangles are classic and will compliment other gold jewelry and accessories well.
- Dangling earrings like this silver pair from Novica are a delicate addition to day and evening looks.
Metallic belts are the perfect way to add a subdued shine to your look. They look amazing with jeans and dresses, and you can be use them to dress up a day look or put the finishing touch on an evening look. They're also a great, simple way to transition an outfit from work or day to night. Stay with skinny belts when wearing a metallic shade; they're more refined than wider styles.
Scarves with metallic threads woven throughout are an elegant, subtle way to dress up jeans and a blouse. They also make great wraps with a cocktail look. If you're wearing a bolder style scarf that is fully metallic, tread carefully with other accessories. Keep your jewelry simple and leave your other statement metallics at home.
Where to Buy Them
Because of their popularity and versatility, metallic accessories are widely available. You'll find the best selection at these retailers:
- J Crew: J Crew makes fabulous shoes in metallic shades and has an extensive jewelry line. Orders over $175 ship for free.
- Urban Outfitters: Urban Outfitters is a great source for affordable accessories. They have a fantastic jewelry selection and tons of bags, shoes, belts, and other items. All orders over $50 get free shipping.
- Zappos: You can find all kinds of metallic accessories from various designers at Zappos, and every order ships free.
- Amazon: Amazon has a seemingly endless selection of metallic accessories from a wide range of designers and stores. Look for vendors that offer free shipping.
- Ebay: Check out Ebay for deals on all kinds of designer accessories like Rebecca Minkoff bags. Narrow your search by designer and/or category and be sure to buy from reputable sellers with good feedback.
Metallic accessories are fantastic. But like anything, you can have too much of a good thing. Here are a few tips to keep you looking sparkly-chic:
- Keep your metallic items other than jewelry to two at most. For example, if you're wearing a metallic belt and shoes, don't wear a metallic bag.
- As a general rule, you shouldn't wear more than three pieces of jewelry at once. However, it's largely a matter of personal taste. Just keep in mind that when wearing multiple pieces together, you should stick to one statement item and keep the rest simple.
- Stick to simple jewelry at a minimal level when incorporating bolder metallic items like shoes or a bag into your outfit.
- Don't mix metals. Choose one shade when wearing multiple metallic accessories.
- Choose a level of shine you're comfortable with. If you don't want to go full-on metallic, items with a pearlized finish are subtler but still provide a glamorous touch.
Add Glamour and Fun
Accessories with a metallic sheen are a stylish way to modernize basic pieces in your wardrobe. They instantly add an element of glamour to any outfit and are a fun alternative to more classic neutral colors. When using metallic accessories, the most important thing to remember, as always, is to have fun and wear whatever makes you feel good.