If you've never been golfing before, it's common to wonder what women specifically wear on the golf course. Some golf clubs have more of a strict dress code for men and women than others; however, there are some general rules that you should follow.
Polo Shirts Galore
First and foremost, make sure that you're wearing an appropriate top for golfing that will allow your body to move and ultimately enhance your performance. The most popular option is a polo shirt as these tops come in an array of colors and styles, such as:
- Button down
- Long and short sleeves
- Prints like floral, stripes, and argyle patterns
Polo shirts are also the go-to because a lot of private golf clubs state that "shirts must have a collar" in their dress code regulations. However, turtleneck tops are widely accepted in less strict venues. Just make sure that you avoid t-shirts, halter tops, strapless tops, and tank tops.
Can You Wear Leggings to Golf?
When it comes to what to wear on your bottom half, it largely depends on the weather. As a general rule, pants and shorts should always have belt loops so that you can wear a belt. For colder months, slacks or colored chinos are a popular choice. In the summer, shorter slacks like capris, crops, or Bermuda shorts are all very common. If you do opt for shorts, bear in mind that private clubs prefer them to be no more than four inches above the knee.
Avoid Being Too Casual
Golf dresses and skorts (a cross between a skirt and shorts) are also valid options for the summer. Just stay away from the following garments as they're all considered too casual:
- Athletic pants
Layering Up Your Outfit
It's quite common to have to layer up on the golf course, especially because temperatures can vary substantially from the morning to the afternoon. In terms of sweaters and jackets, women have a few different options, including:
- A turtleneck sweater
- A golf vest
- A golf jacket
- A wind shirt
- A waterproof rain jacket with hood
Don't wear a denim jacket or standard sweatshirt as these are considered unacceptable.
Invest in Smart Footwear
Women should adhere to the following requirements when it comes to picking out suitable footwear for golfing.
- Invest in golf shoes with non-metal (or soft) spikes, as these tend to be a strict requirement across all golf courses. They're essential for looking the part, but also to provide firm footing when you take a swing.
- Casual clubs might allow running shoes, but it's best to opt for golf shoes so that you don't lose traction on golf course terrain.
- For socks, opt for some proper golfing socks that absorb moisture and provide the utmost comfort for all-day play. Ideally, choose a pair that coordinates with your pants, shorts, skort, or golf dress. Make sure that they're low or don't show for the stamp of approval from your golf club.
In terms of accessories, it's imperative that women wear a cap or visor on sunny days to protect their eyes. Feel free to choose from a multitude of styles, colors, and fabrics because just about anything goes. However, coordinating your hat or visor with the rest of your outfit will enhance your flawless golfing aesthetic.
You can also further accessorize your outfit with the following:
- Sunglasses - Polarized options are recommended to reduce glare and protect your eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Watch - Opt for a watch that is sweatproof and waterproof for practical timekeeping while you're on the golf course.
Using What's in Your Closet
If you're heading on an impromptu golfing trip and you haven't had the opportunity to invest in the correct attire, you can use the following items from your closet:
- Top - A collared polo shirt in any color or design
- Bottoms - Colored chinos, a tennis skirt that passes your fingertips when you're standing up straight, Bermuda shorts, or black exercise pants as a very last resort
- Outerwear - A turtleneck sweater, sweater vest, or waterproof rain jacket
- Footwear - Running shoes and sports socks that come above the ankle
- Accessories - A cap, visor, practical sunglasses or sports watch
It's important to dress as suitably as you can for golfing; otherwise, the golf club has the authority to send you home if you're not adhering to their dress code. If in doubt, you can buy an affordable starter outfit at stores like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
Rocking the Golfing Look
Dressing appropriately for golfing is straightforward once you know how. Simply shop around and mix and match different options to find out what works best for you, your body shape, and your specific golf club.