When you think of Walmart, you probably think of groceries, toys, and electronics. Well, Walmart also has a surprisingly vast and fashionable selection of women's clothing that shouldn't be overlooked.
What to Expect
When shopping at Walmart, it's nice to know that it really is a one-stop shopping experience, from head to heel. Walmart carries great denim, casual and elegant dresses, classic tees, sweaters, and even women's office wear.
You have 90 days to return any unflattering items, and if you lose your receipt, don't worry. Walmart understands your needs, and though the store manager for each store has the authority to make the final decision regarding returns, they will most likely accept your return sans receipt.
Must-Have Clothing Items
Walmart is known for their great prices, so you can absolutely expect to pay less for your wardrobe here. Here are some need-to-know facts about the fashions:
Looking for that perfect white tee? Walmart carries a ton of quality Hanes products, and these are not your grandmother's Hanes. Perfect for under a blazer, worn with jeans or leggings, these Hanes t-shirts are versatile. These shirts also come in a variety of updated colors such as maroon, vintage denim, light steel, ash, lavender, and many more. Long, short, or v-neck, you can expect to pay roughly $6 for one of these classic t-shirts.
DL1961 is a hot name in the fashion world right now, and Walmart carries this premium line of denim. At Walmart, expect to pay roughly $50 on average for a pair of these jeans. Normally DL1961's jeans retail for around $200, so this denim line being sold at Walmart is definitely a hidden treasure. Ripped, cropped, skinny, boyfriend, white, red, black: you can find all of these trendy styles on Walmart's website.
Did Somebody Say Couture?
Some items from Walmart's website can only be found online, and may not be available in-store. For example, Walmart is now selling some high-end designer items through its online website. Shocked? Don't be. Most American's are now buying their clothing online, and Walmart is giving consumers great sales on designer gowns.
Of course, chances are you are not going to fill your closet with mostly gowns, so take a look at something more practical: office wear. Walmart is giving women options when it comes to ladies' work wear. Some bestsellers are the George knee-length career skirt (about $12), the Lifestyle Attitudes pull on slim pant (under $20), the essential Riders by Lee 3/4 sleeve button-down shirt (about $15), and the George classic career suiting blazer (just under $20). All of these office wear items come in an array of neutral colors, so you can stock up and mix and match these pieces for a versatile work wardrobe.
Walmart also carries a good range of active wear and athleisure styles that are great for everyday errands or weekend looks. This include brands like Danskin, Avia, and Athletic Works. You can find tanks, leggings, sports bras, shorts, long sleeve tees, yoga pants, active tees, and more, ranging in price from about $5 to $30. From the Danskin Women's Bungee Tank (around $6) to cute capri joggers (just under $15), there are plenty of easy-to-wear and comfortable women's styles.
Walmart hits the mark when it comes to chic sweaters. Faded Glory is a popular Walmart brand, and they make both trendy and classic looks. On trend is the Marilyn off-the-shoulder textured sweater, which comes in blue, khaki, rose, and heather grey colors for about $9. This sweater looks great with black leggings and a pair of white Converse sneakers.
Heart N Crush is another popular Walmart brand, and this brand resembles J. Crew with its classic and preppy looks. This waffle knit cardigan is seriously chic, and it comes in five perfect neutral colors. Perfect when worn over a plain tee or layered over a dress, this sweater is only around $15.
From the positive reviews on the company's website for women's clothing items to independent style bloggers, many women agree that the apparel selections at Walmart offer a great value for the cost, but there are some ways you can really get the best out of your budget.
- According to PennyChic.com style blogger, Walmart is a great option for discount clothing, but it's key to accessorize to keep your style at its best. Use things like belts and jewelry to dress up your Walmart finds.
- At savings and style website Whoa, Wait, Walmart?, fashionistas Bethany and Amanda post cute, stylish finds in multiple departments, but they do suggest that finding the best items doesn't come without a bit of work. Some items are only available in-store, and the pair admits that "sometimes you have to dig" for the top finds.
- If you're shopping for clothing as gifts, consider Walmart's holiday layaway option. You can choose the layaway plan for any individual clothing items of $10 or more, with low down payment charges and have the same return options as with regular purchases.
- Savings blog Passionate Penny Pincher recommends shopping early morning to get the best Walmart finds. Not only will you avoid the crowds, but items are typically restocked by that time.
Pros and Cons
Like any other store, there are pros and cons to shopping at Walmart.
- You can shop both in-store and online for fabulous finds.
- There is a free pick-up option, which allows you to pay for an item online, and pick it up at your local Walmart store.
- When shopping online at Walmart, you can definitely find more sizes, and better selections, of women's clothing. They carry women's, plus, and junior's sizes to meet a range of needs in ladies' clothing.
- Walmart does accept coupons.
- Walmart's clearance racks can yield rock-bottom deals on essentials and trendy items.
- Some Walmart's in-store clothing sections can be messy, and you will have to weed through a bunch of items before finding what you are looking for.
- You must spend at least $35 to get free shipping if you are shopping online.
- There are certain higher-end brands of clothing that are only available from Walmart's website. This means you have a better selection online, but you can't physically try on your more expensive items.
Don't Break the Bank
Whether you are tired of shopping at the same stores, or if you are specifically looking to score a deal, Walmart is a great place to start. Carrying women's clothes, shoes, and accessories, you have many opportunities to make a smart purchase here. The next time you are at a Walmart, look through the clothing section and you may find yourself some unexpected and stylish necessities.