Sonja Morgan New York is a name that you may or may not have heard of in the fashion world. It's the name of a fashion line by The Real Housewives of New York City star Sonja Morgan, who is also a film producer, performer and fashion icon, as well as entrepreneur.
Sonja Morgan's Love of Fashion
After graduating from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City in 1985, Sonja Morgan proceeded to pursue a career in fashion retailing on the Upper West Side, as well as wholesale in New York's Garment District. She also became a luxury brand consultant for top establishments in the fashion, hotel and restaurant worlds, which earned her the reputation of being New York's go-to "it girl".
Sonja later branched out into the entertainment industry. She wrote screenplays and produced films behind the scenes as well as appearing in front of the camera for TV shows such as the Real Housewives.
After being considered a style icon on Real Housewives, Sonja naturally decided to turn her hand to launching her own fashion line in summer 2015, which continues to be successful since its conception.
Sonja Morgan New York
When Sonja Morgan New York debuted in 2015, the collection consisted of luxury clothing, jewelry, and swimwear. The inspiration behind the collection was to create an accessible, size-inclusive range of unique and stylish pieces that emulated Sonja Morgan's empowering spirit.
Currently the Sonja Morgan New York line carries two collections: the Luxe Collection and the Giveback collection. These can both be bought via her website, which ships free domestically, and at select pop-up shops in the US. If you're based internationally, a website shipment will cost you a flat fee of $25.
The Luxe Collection
Sonja says that her ideal customer is someone who wants value but loves luxury, so her collections look like they belong on the catwalk without the designer price tags.
Described as echoing "Sonja's classic yet sexy style," the Luxe collection offers an array of beautiful tailored pieces. When designing the original range, Sonja had fashion houses such as Chanel, Valentino, and Ralph Lauren in mind.
The best-selling items are the jogging pant and the open-front jumpsuit with tuxedo lapel, which replicate Sonja's signature style.
- The White Tuxedo Jogger is currently about $75 and also comes in scarlet red. Available in sizes XS-L, this jogging pant has a satin trim and metal tip draw cord with a side stripe detail. Combine with a black cami vest and tailored blazer for a perfect polished look worthy of the office or a smart event.
- Available for about $119 in XS or M, the Red Tuxedo Jumpsuit also comes in black. It's manufactured from classic Italian poly crepe and has a tuxedo collar insert detail, which will take you from drab to fab in an instant. Wear with court shoes or smart black flats for an outfit that emulates sexy sophistication.
- Currently about $99, the White Tuxedo Open Front Jacket puts an ideal contemporary twist on the classic tailored blazer. Available in both red and black in sizes XS-L, it has a draping lapel with satin trim and is manufactured from imported Italian fabric. Tres chic!
- The Luxe Collection also features stunning dresses, such as the Silk Georgette Blush Gown for around $249, (shown in navy blue below). The perfect dress for black tie and formal occasions, it's made from 100 percent silk with satin trim at the shoulder and a front open leg. Both feminine and elegant, you can find this dress in sizes XS-XL, for a formalwear alternative that will help you stand out for all the right reasons.
The Giveback Collection
The Giveback collection usually features just one piece, and it changes monthly. According to the Sonja Morgan New York website, 20 percent of this collection's proceeds go directly to charitable organizations that support causes and communities in need.
- For instance, this month the Giveback collection consists of the Free To Be Tee which is made from 100 percent cotton and has a luxuriously soft feel. You can make a statement while making an impact as 20 percent of the proceeds from this tee goes to A21, a global nonprofit organization that fights human trafficking. Featuring shimmering caviar beading and available in sizes XS-XL, simply throw on with jeans and sneakers and you're good to go.
Simplistic Yet Elegant Sonja Morgan Fashions
Even though the Sonja Morgan New York fashion line is a little scaled down right now and limited in its retail locations, you can't deny the sophisticated and elegant feel of its pieces both in the Luxe and Giveback Collections. The timeless and luxurious nature of the line means that its customers are likely to be wearing Sonja Morgan New York for seasons to come.