Rachel Roy established her brand in 2004, and she was determined to make it work since day one. Today her line is called Rachel Rachel Roy. Roy built her clothing line on the foundation of designing clothes to empower women. In addition to her already classic women's sizing, she also offers plus sizes.
Designing for Modern Women
Rachel Rachel Roy designs come in the form of dresses, jumpsuits, denim, tops, bottoms, swimwear, jackets, and outerwear. Her prices range from roughly $50 to $250 in both her contemporary and curvy lines. Her designs are very on-trend, nicely tailored, and done in beautiful colors and patterns - so it is refreshing, and quite surprising, that she is not charging more for her pieces (considering in today's fashion industry the prices can be extremely high).
Roy has stated that the Rachel Rachel Roy "is the younger sister to Rachel Roy, so the price point is lower and more affordable. But who the customer is really the same throughout, despite the category." The original Rachel Roy company ended in 2014, and from it, Rachel Rachel Roy was able to blossom.
Styles and Inspirations
Trendy, modern, feminine, and professional are all words to describe the brand. Roy is recently inspired by love, light, and positivity, according to the fashion scoop that she gave to WWD. It shows through her designs that Rachel is fond of strong prints, bold colors, and she is not afraid to 'go there' with her clothes.
Her garments make statements and they are like art for the body. Faux fur coats, ruffle dresses, twisted shoulder tees, tuxedo pants, and cotton joggers are just some of her items that are hot right now. Most pieces that are available in her contemporary line are also made for her curvy line.
As far as sizing goes in the contemporary line, sizes are pretty standard. An XS (0) fits a 32" bust and a 25" waist; a S (2-4) fits a 34" bust and a 26" waist, a M (6-8) fits a 36" bust and a 29" waist, and the sizes continue in L - XXL.
The curvy line is sized 1X, 2X, and 3X. 1X (14-16) fits a 45" bust and a 38" waist, 2X (18-20) fits a 49" bust and a 42" waist, and the 3X fits a 53" bust and a 45" waist. Rachel is thoughtfully size inclusive, and she designs with women of all body types in mind.
Standout Contemporary Pieces
A fashionista herself, Rachel makes sure to create pieces that she can see herself wearing. She's super stylish, adventurous, and chic; so it only makes sense that her pieces reflect that. Here are some chic options:
- Lace Bomber Jacket: The bomber jacket is very relevant and popular today's fashion world. The trend is taking a more refined turn, and this bomber, priced at about $150 and available at Rachel Rachel Roy in sizes XS through L, may be one to consider for your closet. Sheer long lace sleeves, ribbed at the wrist and neck, and banded at the waist, this white and black track jacket is elevated to an elegant level. Wear this piece with black leggings and sneakers for a model-off-duty look, or dress it up with black satin tapered pants and heels. Also available in curvy sizes.
- Varsity Stripe Fit & Flare Dress: This sleeveless dress is equal parts sophisticated and sporty. It's midi length, which is perfect for either casual Friday's at the office, or for a first date. Available for about $140 (also at the Rachel Roy website) in either natural white or black, this dress features an exposed zipper in the back and comes in sizes XS through XL. It also has a slight frill towards the bottom hem giving it that extra oomph. Pair this garment with a statement black blazer for the ultimate street chic vibe.
- Black Moto Jacket: This jacket, priced under $200, exudes style. Cropped, snapped, and featuring side zippers on the arms, this jacket, made exclusively for Macy's, is a must-have. Wear to work, over a dress, with leggings, dressed up or dressed down, this cropped moto jacket is flattering for all body types. Find it in sizes 0 to 14.
Highlights From Her Curvy Line
Roy's curvy line is an extension of her popular contemporary line. These pieces are the same looks from her contemporary line, but they are tweaked to better fit a curvier woman. She does this because she knows that's exactly what curvier women want: trendy, stylish clothes with a great fit. Check out these items:
- Printed Matte Tricot Dress: This black and red dress is available directly from the Rachel Roy website and retails for about $130 in sizes 0X to 3X. It has a flattering fit, a sexy deep v-neck, 3/4 sleeves, ruching at the waist to accentuate and slim, and a slit to show off just the right amount of leg. This dress is both classy and sexy. It's also versatile enough to wear on a date or to work.
- White Distressed Denim: Sleek and on-trend with its rip at the knee, these jeans have a not-so-secret message. "Live To Love" is imprinted above the left knee, and this is something that makes this item unique, in a good way. Paired with a graphic tee or a denim top like the model, these jeans are very versatile. This style is available at Nordstrom in sizes 14W through 24W for about $99.
- Floral Chiffon Midi: Feminine yet urban, this dress is perfect for a girls' night out. Priced at around $150 from Nordstrom and also available in 14W through 24W, it is done with a keyhole neckline (a nice touch with cut-outs being very popular right now). Roy nailed the pattern, floral but not frumpy, and this dress has an edge to it with its navy and black color. Wear it with booties or sky high stilettos.
Best Places to Snag Roy's Styles
Rachel Rachel Roy designs are easily available to purchase. Her brand's website, Nordstrom, and Macy's are all retailers that you can get her pieces from, as seen above. Here are some other trusted retailers that sell this line:
- Amazon: Amazon is a trusted online-only retailer of both contemporary and curvy Rachel Rachel Roy items. A great aspect about shopping for Rachel's pieces here is the variety that Amazon offers.
- Saks Off 5th: Saks Off 5th is Saks Fifth Avenue's sister website. Here you can find both contemporary and plus Rachel Rachel Roy pieces. Her clothing here is discounted, most likely because most pieces are from past seasons' collections.
- Nordstrom Rack: Nordstrom Rack is the same exact concept as Saks Off 5th. Nordstrom Rack however, has a bigger and better selection of Roy's pieces. Dresses, coats, tops, bottoms -- everything from Nordstrom Rack of Rachel's designs looks very on-trend. Nordstrom Rack also sells items from her curvy line.
- Lord & Taylor: L&T is a store that will always offer you the latest in Roy's contemporary and curvy lines, like the black one-shoulder style shown right (about $120). L&T often has major sales and Rachel Rachel Roy is included.
Positive Vibes Only
Rachel Roy is synonymous with the word 'fashion' but she hopes to achieve way more than just creating stylish clothes. She's a major philanthropist, a respected public speaker, and an activist for women's empowerment. Her clothing brand, which she is no doubt immensely passionate about, gave her the high platform she needed to become the activist that she is today. Her passion for excellence transcends through her clothing line. Rachel's clothing is made for real women in the real world, and these are the women she thinks about when designing.