Keeping up with the latest fashion trends can be tricky. As Heidi Klum would say on Project Runway, "In fashion one day you're in and the next day you're out." For the up-to-date scoop, what months to watch out for fashion-wise, new rising star designers, and how to spot the latest trends before anyone else, follow these helpful tips and find out what sources to turn to for the hottest in fashion trends.
Follow Fashion Week
Fashion Week is the ultimate time to spot the newest trends. Fashion Week happens twice a year here in the US in NYC, once in the second week of September, and once in the second week of February. In the first you will catch the newest Spring/Summer trends and in the second you will catch a glimpse of the Fall/Winter top trends.
It is very difficult to get an invite, but luckily there are many outlets that stream these fashion shows live online for free. Major fashion influencers and style magazines will also cover these shows in different capacities, so it is important to follow them during these times.
Subscribe to Top Fashion Magazines
All the major fashion designers put their ads in these magazines, and they feature their newest products. These magazines also always feature interviews of various fashion designers, and their content is very valuable for spotting the latest in fashion trends.
Make sure to stock up on top fashion magazines such as:
- Vogue: Established in 1892, Vogue has a long history as an iconic magazine and has a major focus on the latest in fashion.
- InStyle: InStyle, which boasts a circulation of over 1,810,539, was founded in 1994, and has a host of information on the trends in style and fashion.
- Harper's BAZAAR: In print even longer than Vogue, this magazine originated in 1867 and includes the latest perspectives on modern fashion.
- ELLE: Originating from France in 1945, Elle is considered the world's largest fashion magazine with readership in over 60 countries.
- W Magazine: Established in 1971, this magazine is known to cover the most elite in the fashion industry.
Shop at Fashion-Forward Retailers
If you want to keep up with fashion trends, you need to know where to shop! There are certain retailers that always feature the hottest new clothes and their buyers know exactly what pieces to carry. Even if you do not plan on buying any of the expensive items you see, you are now informed of the newest styles and what types of clothes to look for in other places.
Some fashion forward retailers who always keep up with the trends include:
- IntermixOnline.com: The buyers here are insanely good, and you can be sure that all items sold from this store are on point and current.
- Revolve.com: This online store has an overwhelming selection of goods; but when your selection consists of exclusives, celeb-approved brands, and garments only purchased directly from the designer, can you blame them?
- Saks.com: Around since 1924, this is a trusted trendy store that has always has top designers and luxury newcomers featured on its racks. Shop straight off the runway pieces from major designers' collections before anybody else at Saks.
- Barneys.com: An NYC staple, Barneys is known for its super exclusive collections and limited edition pieces. It errs on the side of trendy and it never disappoints.
- fwrd.com: This gem of a website is bursting with the newest trends. Offering new arrivals that rival everyone else's, fwrd.com is the place to shop for the latest "it" pieces.
- JeffreyNewYork.com: Their buyers are trained to be your personal shoppers, and the clothes are always new and exciting. They handpick the best of the best garments from each season, so you know that their styles are on, or ahead of, the trend.
Take Cues from Celebrity Styles
Pay attention to celebrities and what they wear. Oftentimes designers gift their pieces to celebrities so that they wear them and then the designer gets recognition. Once the outfit goes viral, bam!, everyone is wearing and talking about that piece. Some singers, celebrities, models, and fashion influencers style to pay attention to are:
- Check out the styles of any of the Victoria's Secret models, such as: Joan Smalls, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Cara Delivigne, Sara Sampaio, Stella Maxwell, and Romee Strijd. These models love fashion and they are always photographed in the latest trends, and they are photographed often.
- Right now everyone is also photographing and style stalking the Jenner sisters, the Hadid sisters, and Hailey Baldwin. It looks like these young fashionistas aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
- Rihanna is not scared to try any fashion trend, and she wears them all exceptionally well. Designers love to dress her and she is never spotted twice in the same outfit.
- Victoria Beckham is a pop singer turned designer. She designs unbelievably chic outfits, yet she keeps them all modern and she always incorporates the latest trends into her designs. Most of the time she is seen wearing her own creations, and she has a keen eye for styling. Watch out for her because nowadays she rarely commits a fashion faux pas.
Watch Essential Events
There are also some annual events that are essential to watch, and view photos from, in order to stay ahead of the trends:
- The Grammy's: The recording industries's most prestigious award. This is where the young and trendy are seen both on screen and in the audience. Its red carpet coverage before the show is not one to miss.
- The Met Gala: Referred to as "Fashion's Night Out," this NYC fundraiser invites the best of the best, both designers and influencers, and all media outlets cover and feature this night's looks. In the fashion world, this is a major holiday.
- Coachella: This California music and arts festival is swarming with celebs, socialites, and the like. New trends are always set here and you can be sure to see all the Coachella looks on Instagram by using the hashtag #Coachella.
- The Billboard Music Awards: These awards are fun and focused on recent rising talent in the music industry. Everyone wants to be seen at this event and the outfits are outrageously good.
- The Oscars: This film industry event is a classic. Everyone wants to dress sophisticated here, but now the envelope is always being pushed. Sheer dresses, plunging necklines, and skin-tight ensembles are all showcased on its red carpet and every designer who matters is dressing these celebs. You can be sure to keep up with the trends while watching this red carpet.
Resources for Keeping Current
It's important to stay current on fashion trends because they are often a topic of conversation, and this topic of fashion trends comes up probably more than you realize. People today are always talking about brands, designers, and who's wearing what and who. These celebrities and trendsetters often influence many other industries, as opposed to just the fashion industry. So how does one keep up with today's fashion trends? Stay on top the latest trends with resources like these:
Chiara Ferragni is an Italian-born model, shoe designer, and a mega fashion influencer via Instagram, having 10 million followers. She is also the creator of TheBlondeSalad.com, a world renowned fashion and style website, giving us the best information on all the hottest trends. Why you should hop on TheBlondeSalad bandwagon:
- Under the 'fashion' tab section of the website are 4 major titles: shopping, trends, how to, and editorials. These four titles will arm you with tips and tricks, the latest runway trends and how they translate to everyday style, and much more.
- TheBlondeSalad's fashion section is updated at least once a week, so you can be sure you are not missing out on any key trends.
- The site pictures numerous outfits per post, with buying suggestions, so you can visualize how trends like those extreme cat eye sunglasses will look on you.
- For all you jetsetters, TheBlondeSalad includes fashions and styles from New York, Milan, London, and Paris' streets and runways for the most encompassing style coverage.
Everyone in the world has heard the name Vogue, and Vogue Magazine is synonymous with top fashion trends all over the world. The paper magazine is great, but when you have the internet at your fingertips, the online version is best. Sign up for both of its online newsletters, and get Vogue Daily and Vogue Runway delivered to your inbox for celebrity style, tips, runway coverage, street style, and plenty more. Why you should start reading Vogue's online Fashion section:
- Only Vogue is able to secure interviews with the biggest celebs in the world and talk fashion like nobody else. Whether you love them or hate them, Kendall and Kylie Jenner have created a fashion line and Vogue talks intimately with them about it. Basically, they are the most trending celebs at the moment, and Vogue will give you its honest opinion about their new clothing line.
- Updated way more than once daily, Vogue has the most up-to-date coverage. It holds everyone to the same standards, so you can truly trust its fashion opinions and advice, like on Beyonce's post-pregnancy dress, the must-have summer caftan, and how Celine Dion is becoming a fashion icon all over again.
- Vogue always realizes the best celebs and models, and it breaks down their styles daily. Ever wanted to dress like Gisele, the worlds most famous super model? How about like Selena Gomez in honor of her 25th birthday? The point is, Vogue has you covered, quite literally, from head to toe.
- Don't forget the September issue! The September issue of Vogue is the biggest and best issue out of the whole year. This is when designers really put out and advertise their best fashion-forward pieces. The best part is you don't have to wait for the paperback to come to your doorstep, you can just view everything online.
Monica Rose's Instagram
Who exactly is this Monica Rose lady? She is a fashion stylist to the stars, and some of her clients include Chrissy Teigen, Chanel Iman, Cara Delevingne, Gigi Hadid, and the list goes on. She is the main woman behind all of the recent celebrity trends you have been seeing on Television, Instagram, SnapChat, etc. Why you should follow her Instagram @monicarosestyle to get the hottest trends:
- Instagram is great because celebs, Monica's A-list clients, and Monica herself, can upload photos in real time, so you get instant fashion updates on what is trending literally this second. She is known to post her styled outfits, along with full style info from head to toe, so you too can get the exact look.
- Because Monica styles the hottest celebs, all of the Kardashians have used her in the past, you can trust that she knows what she's doing, and that her fashion styling is way ahead of the curve.
- She started the monochromatic trend, along with the recent bodysuit trend, so she has a proven track record of success.
- Monica also has connections with designers, so she is often able to get the hottest new "it" pieces before anyone else. She documents this on Instagram.
InStyle is another big name paper magazine, yet their online site offers the same style advice, and it is arguably easier to navigate online. InStyle provides women with the latest fashion and outfit tips from your favorite celebrities and designers. Check out why it is so important to keep checking InStyle.com for the latest and greatest in fashion news:
- InStyle has your front row ticket to fashion shows in Milan, Paris, London, and New York. With its ultra high resolution images and its ability to have cameras behind the scenes at these fashion shows, it is a no-brainer to constantly check InStyle for fashion-forward trends for exclusive photos and info that only they can provide.
- InStyle also has pages and pages dedicated to solely the latest in fashion accessories. You won't miss a designer's launch or line with InStyle's reporting.
- Shoes are also an important part of any fashionista's outfit and InStyle features the newest trends like how to get customized Todd's loafers, Miu Miu's most versatile boot of the season, and summer slides that will take you from the sand to dinner.
The Zoe Report
The Zoe Report is famed fashion stylist Rachel Zoe's creation. Think of it as your daily dose of fashion coming straight from Rachael herself. Rachel Zoe has had her own TV show where her fashion business is showcased, she is a clothing and shoe designer, she has topped many 'top influential' lists, and she is world-renowned for her style expertise. The Zoe Report demonstrates Rachel's true expertise and it reflects all things fashion and style, carefully curated by Rachel Zoe herself, and her best helpers. Top reasons to follow The Zoe Report:
- Under the 'Fashion' tab in the Shopping section of the site, there is daily information about top retailers, what major sales they are running, and which items are the hottest. This information is crucial for those keeping up with the trends.
- Rachel Zoe is known for loading accessories on top of accessories, on top of more accessories; so it only makes sense that The Zoe Report's accessories section is supercharged with the latest in summer sandals, earrings, necklaces, sunglasses, hats, sneakers, and purses.
- So you came to The Zoe Report for the latest fashion trends right? Mission accomplished. This website also reports on the most stylish and trending pieces from fashion weeks around the globe.
- Filed under 'Style Tips,' you can keep up with the latest work trends, how to layer your necklaces, how to tie your scarf like a fashionista, French-girl inspired outfits, and much more.
Fashion trends change on the daily, but luckily they are fun enough to keep up with. Most of the time you are probably keeping up with the trends and not even realizing it. Whenever watching red carpet events, celebrity news, and/or high profile interviews, chances are the people you are seeing on your television, are styled by stylists, and are sporting the latest in clothing.