Women can enjoy a wide variety of winter hat styles that are not only functional but also fashionable. With so many styles and colors available, it won't be difficult to find one (or several) that will suit your needs as well as match your favorite winter coat.
Five Winter Hat Styles
During the winter season hats can be found everywhere from department stores to ski shops and they are widely available online throughout the year. Stylish hat styles to consider for your winter collection include knit styles, berets, cloches, fur hats, and fun trendy looks.
The simplest of winter hats is the knit hat. This style is timeless and has taken on a modern look with a variety of colors and prints. A knit hat can be worn with anything from a sporty ski jacket to a dressy wool coat. These hats are ideal to wear for winter activities such as skiing, ice skating or anytime you need a layer of warmth for your head. Styles to consider include:
- Women's Triple Cable Pom Beanie: From The North Face (around $35.00), this acrylic beanie offers the casual, slouchy fit that looks so cozy with a fall or winter wardrobe. This one comes in five colors, three of which have a matching pom-pom (the dark heather grey has a teaberry pink pom pom and the wild oat heather has a faded rose pom-pom).
- Raffaello Bettini Cashmere and Fox Fur Pom Beanie: Saks Fifth Avenue s offers this more fitted beanie, available in black, ivory and navy for around $230.00. It's made with luxurious cashmere and features a fox fur pom-pom.
The modern beret is done in a slouchy style constructed from a warm cable knit or a soft fleece. Berets can be found with accents such as knit flowers, pom-poms or even some sparkle. Berets are an ideal accessory to wear in winter and look great with sweaters and coats. Some berets to check out for winter include:
- Ribbed Metallic Beret: Forever 21 offers an inexpensive beret option at less than $15.00. This classic style of beret is less slouchy than some styles and is 67% polyester and 33% metallic yarn. It's available in pink.
- Kangol Modelaine Beret: This stylish one size fits most beret from ShoeBuy is priced at just around $50.00 and comes in winter moss (green), black, dark flannel (gray), and red. It is made of 100 percent wool and is sure to keep you warm while looking sophisticated.
The cloche was the fashion staple of the 1920s and has gained popularity today. This hat style has a slim brim in the front and is fitted in the back. A cloche can come in fabrics such as wool, felt or fleece. Pair your cloche with a stylish pea coat and a turtleneck for a fashionable look when you head out on a date or out with friends. Some cloche styles to consider include:
- Scala Knit Wool Flower Cloche Hat: This cute wool cloche from Kohl's is right around $35.00 and features knit flower appliques to dress it up. It comes in black, taupe, olive, berry, denim and gray. No matter which color you choose, it'll be right at home in almost any winter wardrobe.
- Camilla Cotton Cloche Hat: This fashionable cloche can be found at the Village Hat Shop for about $45.00. It is available in four colors: magenta, natural, pink and sandstone. Because of its simple style, it will pair well with everything from jeans to winter dresses.
Fur hats, whether faux or real, are designed to keep you warm. These stylish hats can be found in a wide variety of styles, from those done with fur trim to designs completely covered in fur. You can wear a warm fur hat while sitting in a ski lodge or out shopping for the holidays. These hats make a statement and will look great with a winter vest and jeans or with leggings and fur boots. Options include:
- Coyote Fur Aviator Hat: This cozy hat, found at Macy's for around $650.00, features genuine leather and fox fur, and it ties under the chin. One drawback to this hat is the need for professional cleaning.
- Faux Fur Russian Hat: From Fur Hat World, this Russian style hat is priced under $50.00 and is done in a buff beige faux fur. It is available in sizes small to large and features ear flaps, a quilted lining and suede leather ties. This hat will not shed and is made to keep you warm on the coldest days.
In addition to keeping you warm, hats can be a fun way to show your personality. Fun, novelty style hats can be worn during the holiday season to amuse family and friends or anytime you want to show off your fun side. Fun hat styles for winter include:
- Light Up LED Beanie: This is an inexpensive, fun choice for a winter hat, available at Extreme Glow for less than $10.00. It features seven bright, flashing LED lights in a mix of red, green, and blue.
Neff Cupcake Hat: Find this acrylic cupcake-inspired beanie at Amazon for under $30.00. Choose from brown, chocolate, red velvet or vanilla, topped with sprinkles and a cherry. It's sure to be a conversation starter.
Stay Stylish in Winter
Enjoy wearing your winter hat while you can. Just like coats, winter hats aren't meant for year-round wear. Create a total look with all of your cold weather accessories, including scarves, gloves and boots. Finishing off your ensemble with the right hat gives you a sophisticated or fun edge that will make you unforgettable.