Almost liquid-like in appearance, shiny leggings are some of the most bold, edgy clothes to hit the women's fashion world in years. Though leggings themselves are nothing new - just think back to the 1980s when they were all the rage - this particular style has earned itself "hot trend" status in a big way!
About Shiny Leggings
Shiny clothes are, in general, a bit of a risk. A shiny accessory - well, that's a different story. It's easy to pull off a gleaming belt or even a sequin-adorned handbag. Wearing clothes that literally flash whether you're under the lights or not, though, is something different. It requires a certain joie de vivre to pull off - there's no room for timidity when it comes to wearing something so vivacious.
That said, shiny clothes aren't exactly ubiquitous. Probably one of the common styles today is the super-tight legging. Available in a variety of styles, the most eye-catching is undoubtedly the one you're likely to spot on a celebrity - the shiny variety. Shiny leggings are extra-snug and designed to fit like a glove. They hug every inch of your hips and legs and conceal nothing, so it's important to feel confident (and comfortable!) when you're wearing them.
A-Listers Love Them
If you're one to avidly follow celebrity trends, no doubt you're already aware just how much the big-name Hollywood starlets and songstresses love their "liquid" leggings. They've been spotted on many, including Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Mary Kate Olsen, Mischa Barton, Nicky Hilton and Lindsay Lohan, to name but a few. If you want to wear them, you might take your cue from these women and mirror their style to create an outfit that works.
How to Wear Them
First things first: Wallflowers need not apply. Shiny leggings shouldn't be treated as your initiation into the world of high fashion. You must wear them with your head held high, with the understanding that you'll probably turn some heads and perhaps even elicit a whisper or two. If you're wearing them right, you can expect some compliments, too! Here's how to pull off your daring leggings:
- It's all about mixing materials. Your pants are shiny - your top should be something relaxed, comfortable and, most importantly, not shiny. You don't want to be mistaken for a disco ball!
- It's also about contrast in size. Your pants are tight - your top should generally be on the loose and airy side. A simple, draped tank top is such a versatile partner for shiny leggings. During the summer, it works great on its own (throw a long necklace on for some added glamour!), and during the cooler months you can throw a lean, lengthy blazer on over it to create a chic, rocker-worthy look.
- Try a chunky top during the winter. A sweater dress made of wool is such a pretty choice - and it provides excellent contrast to the edgy leggings. A long sweater code worn over a simple top is another great option.
- Get acquainted with a belt! Try a long white tunic cinched at the waist with a wide metallic belt. This streamlines the entire look and lends the entire ensemble a polished finish.
- Heels, heels, heels: This can't be stressed enough. While flats definitely look cute with cotton leggings and long tunics, the hard-edged and provocative shiny legging begs to be worn with a pair of killer heels. Try cage heels during the warmer months and open-toed booties or knee-high boots during chillier periods.
- If your leggings are so tight they're nearly impossible to pull on - and you're determined to wear that particular pair - then make good use of talcum powder. Just spread it on your legs; it will make pulling them on a bit easier.
Where to Shop
Since leggings are quite trendy and have generally become rather ubiquitous, it's not difficult to find them at shopping malls and online boutiques. Shiny pairs might be a bit harder to come by, but there are some great options online, including:
- Bluefly has a section devoted specifically to leggings. You'll find everything from soft cotton to extra shiny, all at discounted prices.
- Net-a-Porter is the place to be if your tastes run higher end. Here you'll find shiny leggings that shine, appear wet and boast embellishment. It's a dream for true legging lovers (who don't mind paying a bit extra).
- Revolve Clothing and Shopbop are also great stops for trendy leggings from today's hottest designers. Most items are priced on the higher end of the spectrum, but you'll occasionally find pieces on sale, too.