Feeling frustrated in the dressing room when the dresses you love don't look quite right once you put them on is an easy enough problem to resolve. Maximizing your ability to find a wide array of stellar dresses simply relies on choosing silhouettes and looks that work best for your pear shape figure. Consider the variety of factors that come into play while you shop, so your next trip to your favorite boutiques yields a medley of beautiful choices.
Four Great Looks for Your Shape
Shopping for that special dress can be an exhilarating experience when you know how to choose styles that flatter a pear shape body. Achieving a balanced shape is all about using visual tricks to draw the eye to different parts of your body, while creating a new external shape with fabric.
1. Draw Attention to Your Waist
The smallest part of your body is your waistline, so show it off. For a lovely look, opt for dresses that include a V-neckline and a full skirt. If you can handle a plunging neckline, even better. The bottom point of the V, a neckline that narrows as it reaches your waist, creates a slimming appearance while calling attention to this portion of your body. The full skirt gently softens your hip area for a feminine, flowy finale.
- Donna Morgan Sleeveless Cotton Sateen Dress with Full Skirt (pictured) - This beautiful floral, sleeveless dress offers a hefty dose of femininity. Its hemline that falls just below your knees allows you to look demure. You will look like the belle of the ball, whether you wear this to a dinner party or on a dressed-up date. With its wide V neckline, slim waist, and softly pleated skirt, it provides a flattering look for pear shapes. The dress is a just under $100 at Amazon. It comes in sizes 2 through 16.
- Make a Grand Entrance Dress - You're sure to attract attention in this lovely party dress designed to make the most of a pear shape figure. The fitted top over a crisply pleated A-line skirt is figure flattering, and the thin belt at the waist attracts the eye. The lovely gray leaf pattern over a white background adds an element of femininity. This dress is priced around $90 at ModCloth and comes in UK sizes 8 through 14, which are equivalent to U.S. sizes 4 through 10. Use the size chart provided on the shopping page for a size selection guide.
2. Broaden Your Shoulder Line
Consider reaching for a dress that creates a broader shoulder line. By increasing the visual width of your shoulders, you create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Because your pear shape body distributes the greatest visual weight at your hips, drawing an onlooker's eyes upward and out creates a balanced proportion. For this flattering finish, look for frocks with added volume on top, recommends Real Simple Magazine. Also, consider bateau necklines for added width.
- Julian Taylor Floral Printed Dress (pictured) - Feel pretty in petals with this bold-meets-coy party dress in an allover floral print. With a boat-style neckline and small cap sleeves, delicate pleating, and retro-inspired full skirt that falls to your knees, your pear shape will look lovelier than ever. Priced around $40 from Amazon, the dress comes in sizes 6 through 16.
- Crepe Sheath Dress - It's the little black dress tailored beautifully for your pretty pear shape figure. With details like a bateau neckline and lace detailing, this knee-length dress offers serious impact. Wear it to a fancy shindig or for an evening out with the girls. This Maggie London style is $148 at Nordstrom. It comes in sizes 2 through 126and is available black or blush.
3. Raise the Stakes
Bring a powerful punch of visual interest into the mix by choosing a dress with a high halter neckline. Whether you prefer a classic halter-style dress or a high neckline with a vintage kick, like a Victorian collar, the goal is to focus the attention on your upper body. Your arms and collar bones will remain center stage, while a soft skirt that gently flows away from your body camouflages a larger bottom half, explains Refinery29.
- Eliza J Embellished Chiffon Fit & Flare Dress - Create a feminine balanced look while showing off your shoulders and legs with this halter neckline, floaty dress that falls just above your knees. Its draped bodice and layered flowing skirt enhance your body without clinging. This dress is priced at $198 at Nordstrom. It is available in sizes ranging from 2 to 16 and comes in blush, champagne, navy, coral or turquoise.
- Speechless Silver Halter Dress - A combination of a silver halter top and a flowing chiffon skirt makes this party-appropriate dress a complete knockout. The seamed halter-style neckline, belted waist, and gently pleated, flared skirt offer a super-femme finish that's just right for your pear figure. Throw this one on with black pumps to complement its short hemline. The dress is around $60 at Amazon. It comes in sizes 3 through 13.
4. Fit and Feminine
While reaching for a dress with a flowy skirt is always a go-to for a pear shape woman, this is not your only option. When you bring the waistline up a bit, you extend the visual of your bottom portion. Creating the appearance of a longer bottom half elongates your hips for a slimmer look. Imagine yourself in a short-sleeve brocade dress with a boat neckline, Empire or natural waist seaming, and slim skirt that gently follows your natural shape without hugging tightly. Any slimmer version of the fit-and-flare dress will draw attention to the right places. A heavier material is appropriate because it will hold its shape rather than cling to you, for a flattering ensemble.
- Paimpont Silk Dress - This black and white floral dress from Anthropologie is both striking and elegant. The faux wrap bodice goes into a fitted waist with a flared skirt to show off your slim torso and full hips. If you want a dress that can only be described as chic and bold, this dress is for you. The dress comes in sizes 00 through 14 and is priced just under $200 from Anthropologie.
- Sleveless Fit & Flare Dress - If you're looking for a more casual style, this simple yet stylish dress may be an ideal addition to your wardrobe. Done in fabric that is 95% cotton and 5% spandex, the dress is lightly fitted, yet flattering to your curves. It sleeveless style and fitted bodice over a slightly full skirt provide both style and comfort. The dress's seam detailing, fitted waist, gentle front pleating, and hidden side pockets offer the extra finishing touches that make it special. The dress costs just under $30. It is available in sizes M through XXL and is made in red, black or blue.
Figure Flattering Style
Remember, while every dress that follows the rules may not necessarily fit like a glove, following guidelines will get you to the finish line much faster - and with a smile on your face. Every woman's body is different, even if you share a particular body shape. Try on a variety of silhouettes, fabrics, colors, and patterns, and choose according to the dress that flatters your figure while making your heart skip a beat.