When celebrities walk the red carpet at film premieres, award shows or a myriad of other galas, they always seem to look flawless. One of the reasons they are able to achieve such perfection is because they are often wearing designer, one-of-a-kind gowns. While you may not have that many occasions special enough to wear glamorous gowns as frequently as the rich and famous do, you can still duplicate the look. The designer dress knockoff market is huge and allows you to wear expensive frocks at a fraction of the price.
Who Makes Designer Dress Knockoffs
A large variety of brands and companies supply consumers with inexpensive versions of regularly costly couture. There are mass retailers and some smaller boutique brands that all sell popular knockoff versions of the fabulous gowns regularly seen in magazines and atop "Best Dressed" lists. Here are some brands that stand out:
When it comes to almost exact replicas of designer gowns, and women's clothing in general, there is no brand more affordable and stylish than Forever 21. One of the best things about this trendy clothing store is that they constantly update their stock with thousands of new items a week, so you will always have an endless amount of things to choose from. They sell designer-insired evening gowns, as well as more casual dresses for daily wear.
Along the same vein as Forever 21, this Swedish retail company has several US locations and is credited for offering stylish clothing that replicates what is seen on the fashion runways. However, unlike Forever 21, H&M often collaborates with successful designers, including Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Roberto Cavalli and Lanvin, to create affordable collections for the H&M customer. They stock everything from dresses for work to those for formal occasions and weekend nights out on the town.
This UK fashion brand is known for their stylish stock of designer-inspired clothing at a fraction of the price. While their stateside dominance has been a slow build, they are currently implementing more US locations. They too have collaborated with other designers, including supermodel Kate Moss. Their designer-inspired dress clothing is a healthy mixture of edgy, sophisticated and trendy. Not only does it reflect what's currently being worn by American celebrities, but international ones as well.
Specializing in clothing, accessories and everything in between, Zara is a Spanish retailer that consistently offers designer knockoff clothing at incredibly affordable prices. With a healthy amount of stores worldwide, the clothing they sell is ideal for women who want to duplicate fashionable runway and red carpet looks without breaking the bank. Their dress selection is especially impressive because they look quite expensive, but most are priced under $100.
Other Knockoff Destinations
Many department and bridal stores also sell knockoff dresses. There are also an abundance of online retailers who specialize in replicas of glamorous gowns at affordable prices. After award shows, designers commonly rush to produce replicas inspired by the latest celeb-worn looks and get them out for the public to purchase, sometimes in just a few days. A few additional retailers include:
- Edressme.com: This retailer has knockoffs of designer cocktail, formal and evening gowns.
Popular Inspired-By Styles
The dresses in Hollywood set the standard for the latest styles and trends. The most copied dresses are the ones that stars wear on the red carpet to various award shows. Who wouldn't want to wear these unforgettable dresses that have been seen on the red carpet? The following have been replicated by numerous designers:
- Eva Longoria's navy chiffon mermaid style gown worn to the 2007 Golden Globes.
- Jessica Alba's wine colored feathered Marchesa gown worn to the 2008 Oscars.
- Evangeline Lilly's 2006 Emmy dress that was grape colored charmeuse and chiffon with a pleated bodice.
- Beyonce Knowles' bright tangerine gown that was also worn to the Golden Globes.
- Natalie Portman's wine colored frock by Rodarte that she wore beautifully at the 2011 Academy Awards.
- Angelina Jolie had jaws dropping and tongues wagging when stepped on the 2012 Golden Globes red carpet wearing a white and red Atelier Versace gown.
- Lea Michele wowed the crowd when she was decked out in a bright red gown for 2011 Emmy Awards.
- Rihanna was a sight to behold in a skin-tight black Armani gown at the 2012 Grammy Awards.
Pros and Cons
There are a few things that you should be mindful of when deciding to purchase a designer dress knockoff.
- Money saved. The large amount of money that you save on buying a designer knockoff versus the real thing is absolutely incredible. It also allows room to spend more money on accessories to tie the look together.
- No guilt. Since you aren't spending that much for your designer knockoff gown, you won't feel bad when it is out of style in a few months.
- Some items can be illegal. Make sure that the store or website that you are buying from is selling legally reproduced merchandise. You definitely don't want to risk your freedom for buying illegal merchandise.
- Unfortunately, some look cheap. It important to develop an eye for those designs that look incredibly cheap when compared to the original. Inspect the fabric, seams, stitching and appliques before purchase.
Glamorous and Affordable Dresses
If you choose to purchase a dress that is a designer knockoff, you'll be getting a look that is both affordable and glamorous. Wear it with loads of confidence and personalize the look by finishing it off with accessories and shoes that give your gown an added flair.