If your motto is "girls just wanna have fun," then you probably came of age during the 1980s and might have a penchant for Cyndi Lauper fashion. When Cyndi hit the scene with her smash hit Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, scores of girls followed her fashion lead. Cyndi's style is not for the faint of heart. She has an irreverent fashion sense that doesn't follow any rules.
Cyndi Lauper Fashion Basics
Anyone who grew up in the 80s probably heard of Cyndi Lauper. She had hits with Girls as well as with Time After Time and True Colors, among others. With the increasing visibility of videos, she was able to influence the way her fans dressed. Cyndi is no shrinking violet when it comes to clothing and makeup. Cyndi Lauper fashion usually consists of:
- Bright colors: Forget about all black ensembles when it comes to Cyndi. While she's been spotted in chic black, she's more apt to choose an outfit that incorporates as many colors of the rainbow as possible! From her cherry bright lipstick and platinum hair to her wild shoe colors, she won't fade into the background. Like a lot of 80s fashion for women, Cyndi's clothing choices lean toward being vivid and intense.
- Dresses and skirts: While Cyndi does wear slacks on occasion, she seems to prefer dresses or skirts. Just looking at photos and album covers at the Cyndi Lauper site, you can see that most of them feature the singer in dresses and skirts, many of them in retro cuts. Whether it's that bustier-and-flared skirt combo she sported on the cover of She's So Unusual or a rare slinky red dress as featured on The Body Acoustic, Cyndi's petite frame works well with the feminine styles she favors.
- Lots of accessories: When Cyndi first became well known, she wore a lot of bangle bracelets and beaded necklaces. This fit into the whole 80s heavily-accessorized scene. As her fashion evolved and the trends moved away from armfuls of bracelets, her style also evolved to fit the times, while still maintaining her individual stamp.
- Fun and flirty: Cyndi Lauper doesn't convey a serious image. She's all about having fun and it shows in her fashion choices. She may put an outfit together with various pieces that seemingly don't belong together-yet, she'll make it work. She may pair thigh high socks with a poodle skirt and that will look perfectly in place.
Emulating Cyndi's Style
Just because it's no longer the 80s doesn't mean you can't bring some style back from that decade. Of course, you don't want to wear head-to-toe 80s fashions and risk looking like a throwback. Instead, you can pick one look and build on it. If you're a Cyndi Lauper fan, you might enjoy following in her fashion footsteps from time to time. Some tips on dressing like Cyndi:
- One thing at a time: If you want to spice up your office look, pick one piece that Cyndi might wear, such as red pumps or a striped cardigan, but don't wear it all at once. Cyndi will even wear a conservative look like black slacks and a matching vest - but she'll sport a kitschy top underneath.
- Don't be afraid of color: Some women embrace color more readily than others. Fashion should be fun, so you may have to step outside of your comfort zone if you prefer safe neutrals all the time. If you're not quite ready to put together this floral and striped combo, you can adopt just one aspect, such as the dress or shoes. As you become more comfortable with your fearless fashion choices, you can add another dramatic item.
- Go all out for parties: Whether it's Halloween and you're dressing as Cyndi for the night or you just want to get all dolled up for a party, take a cue from the singer if you want a flirty and entertaining ensemble.
It's All About Fun
You can't take yourself too seriously if you're dressing like Cyndi Lauper. If her individual style suits your personality, you can either try one piece at a time or you can don a head-to-toe Cyndi look. Either way, you'll put people at ease with your bold style.