Clothes to flatter wide hips can be hard to find, but with just a few tips, you'll be shopping for flattering pieces in no time. If you have larger hips than your waist and would like to play them down, there are definitely ways to do so without any issues - and without tossing out everything you own!
Shopping for Clothes to Flatter Wide Hips
If you plan on shopping for clothes to flatter wide hips, try these tips and styles to guide your selection.
Defined-Waist Button-Down Shirts
While you might feel like you are setting off wide hips with a defined waistline, it's actually a prime tool to do the opposite. By showing off your curves and downplaying your hips, you are adding dimension where boxy t-shirts simply don't. Be sure to double-check where your shirt hits at the hip line: it should be somewhere at mid-hip and not overly above the hip. Tunic-length tops are also perfect options for generously hipped women.
Button-down shirts are a good option because they are clean and add a tailored effect to your wardrobe. With details that add a professional touch, you'll find that you look slimmer and trimmer all over, including at the hips. Instead of white, try tops in a dusty pastel or classic black for all-season appeal.
- The Stripe Bird Pattern Shirt from Express is available in sizes XXS-XL for about $60. Its tunic-length is not only flattering on the hips, but looks great either tucked into jeans or over leggings with boots across all seasons. Plus, the bird print is bold and provides a unique, colorful alternative to the classic button-down shirt.
- Another slimming option is the Stripe Poplin Fitted Boyfriend Shirt from Gap in the pretty pastel pink and white color way. A fresh update for your summer wardrobe, it's available in sizes XS-XXL at only about $35, and can be dressed up or down.
- The Two by Vince Camuto Hammered Satin Utility Shirt from Nordstrom comes in both Regular and Petite sizes XXS-XL at just under $60. The hammered black satin provides a stunning sheen that distracts from the hips and, paired with a high waisted skirt, delivers a dressy shirt option for a smarter occasion.
Belted dresses fit the same category as defined-waist tops, but they're a fantastic choice for women looking for something more feminine for work and play. Try one that hits around the knees to show off defined calves and play down the width of your hips. Belted options can include rope or fabric belts, loose drawstring dress closures, and wider, more structured pieces.
When wearing a dress, choose a pattern that will help decrease the general size of your frame. Go for something with a medium-sized print in neutral colors if you are unsure of what to choose.
- The Pink Rose Surplice Wrap Maxi Dress (about $22) from Rue 21 has a wrap-around style, as well as a fabric belt which ties at the side and draws focus away from the hips. Available in sizes XS-XL, its all-over floral print is eye-catching, and the laid-back maxi style is ideal for lazy summer days.
- For a more structured, wider belt option, why not go for the ASOS Ultimate Mini Pencil Dress with D-Ring Belt? Great for the office, or a similar business-like occasion, this tailored dress comes in an adorable blush pink hue in sizes 0-14 at around $60.
- The Sophia Shirt Dress from Boden might be a little on the pricey end at about $120, but it combines two ways to flatter your hips in one! Its button-down detailing to the waist, and multi-colored stripe belt, creates an aesthetically pleasing dress that takes the center of attention. Available in sizes 2-18 in Petite, Regular, and Long, it comes in a variety of color ways and patterns.
High-waisted skirts are perfect for leading the eyes away from generous hips and towards curvy waistlines. Even if you don't technically have a small waist, you can choose a skirt that hits the smallest area - which could be right underneath the bust or near the belly button. A form-fitting tank top tucked into the waistline of the skirt will also accent your bustline, which adds balance to the hips.
- The Corduroy Mini Skirt from Forever 21 is available in sizes 24-31 in four different hues: Lilac Sheen, Dusty Pink, Rust, and Olive. At just under $20, it sits just about the belly button and flatters the hips with its button-down nature. Wear with a fitted top, casual shoes, and plenty of attitude.
- On the other end of the spectrum, the Jacquard Mid-Length Skirt from ZARA sits just underneath the bust and comes just below-the-knee. Paired with a shirt or a dressy top, this skirt oozes class and sophistication. It's available in sizes XS-L and will set you back about $70.
- A perfect way of defining the waist and making your hips look slimmer, the Corset Waist Mini Skirt from Topshop costs about $45 and comes in sizes 0-14. The classic black color means that it will go with anything and everything, no matter the occasion.
Wide-legged trousers are a great buy, even though many shoppers with larger hips have misgivings about purchasing pants with the word "wide" in them. What wide-legged jeans do that makes them hip-friendly is skim off the hipline to the floor, making it virtually impossible to see the curves of the hips underneath. You can still find jeans that flatter your rear and that aren't baggy, even when you shop for the wide-legged styles.
Decrease your hip size by choosing solid colors, especially dark shades like dark indigo and black. If you want a more casual look, choose an all-over light wash, but skip the whiskering or fading if you want your hips to look smaller.
- Known as the king of all jean companies, Levi's is currently offering these Altered Wide Leg beauties in sizes 24-31. At about $130, they come in the classic light blue wash and are the perfect go-to option for comfy casual wear.
- The Sophie High Rise Roll Hem Mom Jeans from Boohoo are available in the classic boyfriend style from sizes 2-12. If you're looking for a beginner's wide-legged jean, then look no further! They come in classic black, which flatters the hips, and are affordable at about $25.
- Another hip-flattering option is the MOTO Raw Denim Cropped Wide Leg Jeans from Topshop, as they come in dark indigo. At around $75 in sizes 24-36, their high-waist and slight cropped hem, as well as wide legs, make them bang on-trend.
Styling Your Wide-Hip Friendly Outfit
If you are going to "shop" in your own closet for wide-hip friendly looks, try the following tips:
- Try layering two shirts for a little floatiness around the hips, and then belt it afterwards for style.
- Consider adding a vest or waistcoat over your top if you feel self-conscious with belts and figure-skimming shapes.
- Add shoes with pointier toes to continue lean lines with your look.
Shop for Your Style
There are many different clothing options available that will flatter your hips - it's all about making sure that you choose the right garments for your personal body shape. Whether you choose to go with a button-down shirt, belted dress, high-waisted skirt, a wide-legged trouser, or other style, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable in whatever you're wearing - and that confidence is sure to shine through.