Bohemian fashions are simple yet unique. Rather than creating matchy-matchy outfits with tailored lines and stiff fabrics, bohemian clothing allows one to dress comfortably with a touch of rugged whimsy. Take a closet inventory of all your clothing basics and restock versatile separates for a bold fashion statement.
Bohemian Clothing Basics
Bohemian fashion is a reconstructed combination of hippie, gypsy and indie style. It is slightly organic, very relaxed, and just a touch feminine. It can translate from day to evening year round and is simple to pull off. Search vintage and thrift shops as well as your favorite apparel stores to piece together an ethnic and cultured look.
Just like a classic wardrobe, bohemian fashion has its own set of wardrobe basics. If you're ready for a free spirited change, perhaps it's time to ditch the classic black pants and pressed white shirt and start shopping for the following:
Cotton tank tops are a bohemian basic. They are indispensable and allow you to toss on a skirt or your trusty denim with ease. Paired with an eccentric scarf or cardigan, this wardrobe basic is versatile and creates the perfect layer. Stock up on cotton tanks and white cotton tees at the start of every season. Shop stores like Old Navy and Hanes.com for a selection of tanks at affordable prices. Other options include:
- Loft's Lacy Peplum Cami: This simple linen tank is featherweight with lace trim and a peplum hem. It's flowing silhouette makes it great bohemian piece.
- Dual Neck Essential Seamless Tank: Black House White Market's tank is super soft and smooth. It is done in a stretch fit and reaches hip level for most bodies.
Flowing dresses are a must-have boho staple. When paired with boots and colored tights, dresses bring feminine gamine into the whole swing of things. Search thrift stores for sweet calico-printed smocks or head online to find a selection of bohemian dresses perfect for any occasion such as:
- Unparalleled Imagination Dress: Mod cloth carries this v-neck maxi dress. It is done with stripes and animal prints and has an embellished waist.
- Rapunzel Maxi Dress: This peach dress from Free People has delicate crochet details and features ruffled embellishments. It has subtle drawstrings at the neck and waist for an easy fit.
An assortment of colored cardigans can pull your essentials together with little effort. Invest in the basics like beige, white or black, and then splurge on the few colors that complement your skin tone. Cardigans can be layered over tanks and dresses, as well as jeans and shorts, so make sure you have a selection on hand.
Look for slightly loose or drapey styles rather than structured sweaters for a boho look. Some cardigans to consider are:
Every hippie or boho wardrobe is stocked full of easy-to-wear skirts. When temperatures soar, gauzy frocks easily become wardrobe savers. Bohemian skirts are not just limited to the broomstick shapes of days gone past. Boho gals wear every skirt shape imaginable in a wide array of colors.
Bohemian skirts can be worn with leggings and boots as well as alone with a chic pair of flats or sandals. Some great skirts to consider are:
- Lace Boho Maxi Skirt: Found at Boston Proper, this hi-lo flutter hemmed lace skirt is a boho must have.
- Paisley Wrap Skirt: From Soul Flower, this ruffled maxi skirt can goes great with your favorite peasant top. It is made with layers of ruffles at the hem and a lightweight fabric that's perfect for your summer wardrobe.
For a relaxed boho style, you can sport denim regularly in between your skirts. Pair it with tanks, sweaters and cardigans for a hip urban vibe. Denim trousers are a great way to incorporate denim into your boho wardrobe, and dark denim can be a great buy for a boho-chic look, too. You'll also want to have some denim styles with a well-worn patina.
Some denim must-haves are:
- Distressed Skinny Jean: Found at Bohemian Traders, these jeans are perfect to wear with all your boho loose tops. With ripped embellishments, these skinny jeans give just the right vibe.
- Original 1969 Flare Jeans: From Gap, these flared-bottom jeans have a mid-rise and are cut slim through the hips and straight in the high. The pockets are embellished with braided details.
Every boho gal has a few lace dainties stashed in her wardrobe to add instant sex appeal to her ensemble. Search the lingerie department of your favorite store for lace camisoles or bralettes that can play a sexy game of peek-a-boo underneath your cardigans. With a wide assortment of frilly tanks and trusty cardigans, your denim never looked so good.
No bohemian fashion style is complete without the perfect jewelry accessories. The sky is the limit when it comes to jewelry, but when it comes to a pure boho look, opt for artisan-crafted pieces and start building on your jewelry wardrobe.
- Bracelets such as bangles will add a gypsy vibe that is timeless and musical.
- Chandelier earrings or a chunky pendant will complement your everyday look.
- Large hobo handbags and chunky knit thigh high socks and tights are other great accessories to consider adding to your fall bohemian clothing wardrobe.
Boho Specialty Stores
Although you can find clothing in boho styles at many stores, some places specialize specifically in bohemian fashion. These include:
- Johnny Was: This store has a focus on flowy, bohemian styles, and offers a range of tops, dresses, cardigans, unique pants, and accessories. They also carry plus sizes.
- Gypsy05: Shop here for a full range of maxi dresses, tops, bottoms, sweaters, and accessories. The focus of this company is color, texture, and artistry. The fabrics are dyed using a special technique, resulting in beautiful boho-inspired styles.
- Soul Flower: Find boho basics at this store that has a focus on natural fibers, eco-friendly clothing, and a relaxed, peaceful style. From simple tunics to vibrant tanks and dresses, there is plenty of selection.
- Free People: Targeted towards young women with a free-spirited, adventurous style, this store's collections offer creative looks and vintage-inspired styles.
- Jayli: Promising consciously-made and fair trade quality clothing, this store offers hippie-boho styles from Nepal and Thailand, including dresses, skirts, tops, and accessories.
Once you start buying what you love, your eclectic look will pair together effortlessly with that casual, cool vibe that defines bohemian clothing. Finding your bohemian fashion look is a process that takes time and many visits to your favorite stores, art fairs and resale boutiques. Whenever that treasured piece shows up and is budget-worthy, snatch it up and add yet another beloved piece to your clothing collection.