It doesn't matter if you choose a casual or dressy style, white dresses for summertime are easy solutions for anytime you want to dazzle. A range of different materials, lengths, and designs mean this summer staple can suit any woman.
White Dress Styles
You can find white dresses for summertime almost anywhere women's clothing is sold. Keep in mind that it may be easier to find an abundance of white dresses in the spring and early summer. You can often find white dresses on clearance or sale later in the summer.
For those who prefer the convenience of shopping online, there are many sites that have a great selection of white dresses in a variety of styles. Some popular options include:
The mini is a good summer dress if you need something similar to a cover-up at the beach or pool. It's a no-fuss selection and one that's easy to pack into a beach bag as necessary. This style can also be worn out at night in a pinch. Some minis to consider are:
- Miss Me's Take It Easy Dress is a short mini dress done with an embellished bodice and spaghetti straps.
- Chloe Silk Tie Neck Dress found at Saks Fifth Avenue is a done in a silk eyelet. It has a sheath silhouette, is sleeveless, and features a silk neck tie embellishment.
Going beach strolling in a gusty environment? The long, flowing maxi dress is your friend. This style is easy to find online, and you can find ones with defined waistlines for added shape, or with front button plackets to make changing easier. Some styles to check out are:
- Wyatt White Jersey Strapless Maxi, found at Bluefly, is a lightweight, unlined dress with an elastic strapless neckline, pleated bust and an elastic waist with a tie belt.
- The Puckered Peasant Dress from Boston Proper is ideal for a hot summer day. It is done with ruffle-cap sleeves, a gathered tie bust and a smocked bodice.
Without zippers and other closures, this style of dress is easy to slip on and wear around the beach and town. By choosing one that hits at knee length, you are ensuring that you'll wear this piece often.
Some great shifts to check out are:
- Black House White Market's Bell Sleeve Shift Dress. This 100% cotton dress is fully lined and features heirloom-inspired lace bodice with a floral motif and scalloped edges.
- Splendid's Off-the-Shoulder Shift Dress can be found at Saks Fifth Avenue. It is done in a simple style with a round neckline and a zip-back closure.
Dressy White Dresses
If you are planning to attend a casual summer wedding or another semi-formal function, a white dress in a dressier style would be ideal. White dresses come in simple yet chic styles perfect for any the affair.
Some great options are:
- Clara Illusion Mesh Maxi Dress, found at Bloomingdales, features an overlay with lace applique embellishments.
- BCBG Max Azria's Bernadette Halter Dress is a halter-neck style that can be dressed up or down. It is done in a classic fit with a hidden back zipper.
Places to Shop
Although you can find white dresses during the spring and summer months at most department stores and women's clothing stores, you can find a great selection at the following:
- Couture Candy: With dozens of white breezy dresses, including caftan-like styles, flirty minis, dressy strapless designs, and casual knee-length and maxi dresses, there is good selection of designer styles at this retailer.
- Revolve Clothing: A diverse selection of both trendy and more classic summery dresses in white can be found at Revolve Clothing. Skin-baring one-shoulder styles are available alongside drapy maxi dresses and casual sundresses from designers like Juicy Couture and Marc Jacobs.
- Simply Dresses: This store has a section dedicated to the LWD (little white dress). This is a good shop to browse a range of price points, with styles ranging from under fifty to over five hundred dollars.
Tips for Wearing White Summer Dresses
- Brighten it up: You can dress up a simple white dress with colorful accessories for an unbeatable summer look. A little white dress presents a less formal appearance than a little black dress, so it's easier to have fun with platforms in Crayola-bright shoes, funky belts tied at the waist, and summer scarves. You may even find yourself dying to throw on your brown cowboy boots with it.
- Wear the right undergarments: Don't forget to stock up on some discreet undergarments in a color close to your skin tone if you want to rock the white dresses during the summer. White and other colors are likely to show through the fabric, giving an overall more opaque or tinted look. If you're still having trouble with panty lines or bra strap bulges, you could invest in a moisture-wicking seamless shapewear garment.
- White dresses as coverups: A white dress can often double as a beach dress or cover up, too. If you are the type who is bothered by the "see-through" effect, you can wear a solid-colored bikini in a medium to medium-dark tone like cocoa brown or deep gray, which won't show through half as much as that red string bikini. Be conscious of the line of the swimsuit itself, because you may find that your bikini bottom ties add unwanted lumps and bumps. Think smooth if you'll be wearing a more close-fitting beach dress.
Breezy Summer Style
White dresses are the perfect summer look to wear on the shore or whenever you want to feel cool and airy. They are incredibly romantic and, quite often, extremely flattering. Whether you're willing to experiment with more avant-garde styles or you just want to stick to the basics, this is one dress type that you need to have as a summer staple.