Many of the styles we see today have been inspired by the Hollywood dresses we see on the red carpet and big screen. The latest trends often begin in Hollywood and end up at a retailer near you.
When looking for special occasion dresses for events such as the prom or homecoming, many girls look at their favorite celebrities for inspiration. Brides keep a close eye on what the stars are wearing at their own weddings for ideas on what they want in a wedding dress. Throughout the year, there are many opportunities to get a peek at what is going on in fashion in Hollywood. Whether it is an awards ceremony or the latest film released, the latest styles seen on the stars are captivating.
As Seen on the Big Screen
Hollywood dresses are often seen in films and never forgotten. Memorable movie styles include:
- Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy dress worn in Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Marilyn Monroe's white dress from The Seven Year Itch that blew up when she stood over a subway grate
- Elizabeth Taylor's white strapless gown from A Place in the Sun
- Vivian Leigh's dresses in Gone with the Wind
- Julia Robert's brown dress worn to the polo match and the red dress worn to the opera both from Pretty Woman
- Reese Witherspoon's Reem Acra wedding gown in Legally Blonde 2
Celebrities can be seen in stunning styles at award shows including the Oscars, Golden Globes, SAG Awards and the Grammys. Some of the most beautiful Hollywood dresses were worn at the 2007 Oscars. How could anyone forget these Oscar dresses worn by the following celebrities?
- Gwyneth Paltrow wore an apricot chiffon dress by Zac Posen.
- Cate Blanchett stepped out in a shimmering, silver Giorgio Armani Privo gown that had floral embroidery details.
- Nicole Kidman was eye-catching in a crimson red Balenciaga dress that had an oversized bow tied behind her neck.
The Grammy Awards are another opportunity for stars to show off the latest fashion trends. Beyonce Knowles was a head-turner in a bright tangerine gown at the 2008 awards ceremony. The 2008 SAG Awards proved that white and silver sparkles were the latest trends in color. Both Eva Longoria Parker and Brittany Snow glittered in white and silver gowns. Debra Messing kept with the glitter trend and showed up in a sparkling Oscar de la Renta gown while Tina Fey embraced the trend of asymmetrical necklines in a black one-shoulder Alberta Ferretti cocktail dress.
Where to Buy Hollywood Dresses
Most designers send their designs to celebrities free in hopes that their dress will be worn at the latest star-studded event. Actors showing up in a particular designer's dress is the best publicity that the designer can receive. As soon as the award shows are over, copycat designers rush to duplicate the latest styles. There are many knockoffs of dresses seen on the stars.
If you are looking for a replica of a dress worn by your favorite celebrity, try out these sites:
- A.B.S. by Allen Schwartz features knockoffs created by Allen Schwartz. His line ABS is priced less than the high-end versions and sold throughout the United States.
- Tiza.com has fashionable formal wear inspired by celebrities
- Haute Generation sells gowns by many different brands that are known for creating exciting celebrity-inspired styles. From cocktail dresses to long formal gowns, there are many styles to choose from.
Complete your Look
Never overlook the small details that can complete your look. Pair your dress with some awesome accessories and you will shine like your favorite star. Find a sparkling pair of earrings and matching necklace and get a great pair of heels and a handbag to match your dress. Don't forget that if you really want to look like a star, be sure to pay attention to having your hair done to compliment your dress. Wear your hair up to show off a fabulous neckline. You can also use a glittering clip in your hair to add extra detail to your style.